I have experimented MANY times with veggie chili recipes, but none have ever made it into my dinner rotation...until now. This is so friggin' good and sooooooo filling/healthy. I made a HUGE pot and was so sad when the leftovers were finally gone. So if you're looking for a low calorie, highly nutritious, and incredibly filling meal, MAKE THIS NOW.
Calories: Only 300!
Fat: only 1.4 grams
Fiber: 19 grams! That's almost your entire daily requirement!
Protein: 18grams! See, you can get lot's of protein without any meat!!!
Look below the recipe for full nutrition info.
Servings: about 6
What you'll need:
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
1tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 can pinto beans
1 can black beans, with juice
1 cup frozen corn
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. more or less for taste
What to Do
1. Rinse lentils. Add to pot with water. Bring to a rapid simmer. Bring to low simmer and cook uncovered, about 20 min, or until water is gone.
2. In large pot heat olive oil on med heat. Cook onion until they start to turn translucent, about 2 min. Add garlic and cook another min. Don't let garlic burn.
3. Put diced tomatoes in food processor and pulse a few times, just to chop them up a bit more. Add to pot.
4. Add everything else.
5. Simmer for 30 min uncovered, then 20 min covered.
6. Add toppings of choice. Ideas: avocado, cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc...
I like to make things that can be turned into multiple meals, cause I get bored with leftovers. For this chili, I added some salsa and used it as bean dip the next day. Or, you can use it for burritos, tacos, etc.
Nutrition Info, via sparkpeople recipe calculator